Thursday, September 22, 2011

Routine

Well I think it's probably been too long since I've made a blog post... longer than the once a week I promised people.

It's safe to say that in the past four weeks, I've settled into a routine. Mind you, not enough to make me feel like I know what I'm doing, but enough to feel like I live here and belong here.

Here's a day in the life of an intern:

Up around 7:30, morning routine, which now includes my new french press, I'm obsessed (it's red). Get to campus at 9:30 to have breakfast with a student, hang around Starbucks for an hour or two working on study program or reading Emma... (I was able to finish it long before my study program book, so I was probably reading Emma that morning, haha.)  At noon, walk to the commons for "fun lunch" with RUF students-- basically we get the same table every week at 12, and everyone knows we'll be there to hang out.  After lunch, spread out blanket on the green and text every freshmen in my phone telling them to study outside, not in the library! Manage to get a few students to work/socialize on my picnic blanket. At 3, head to the education building for upperclassmen small group, talk about the book of Mark for an hour. 4:30, brave Birmingham traffic on 65 south and head home!

Not everyday looks the same because we have large group and freshman small group in the evenings, some days I have zero or three one-on-ones, and some days include preparing for bible studies and fun gatherings at my apartment or the Dentici's.  I'm learning to get used to not having a regular schedule, and learning to be patient as I develop relationships and figure out what is needed on this campus!

Since I last posted, we've had three more large group meetings with lots of students, and three freshmen small group meetings! I'm so excited about all the freshmen that are becoming the "regular crowd". This monday night gathering each week has been so special to me because we've really gotten to know the group and have had some great discussions. It's also caused me to reflect on the freshmen bible study I was a part of my freshmen year at Furman.  We're going over a lot of the same material used by my old campus minister--things that are the basics of the Christian faith, like justification, forgiveness, the importance of Scripture.  It's stuff that God used a lot in life my freshmen year, and stuff that I really benefit from learning again with these freshmen! It's also fun to be with and observe this bunch because my freshmen small group introduced me to the people who became some of my very best friends at Furman and I can see that happening here.

Our group also went on a retreat two weekends ago! We went to one of the older girl's family lakehouse on Lake Guntersville. We had a really sweet and rowdy (yes, both) time getting to know one another, and also spent some time talking about community in Christ.
(Snuggling with some freshies!)

Some weekend soon we're going to Huntsville, for a service/vision trip to Lincoln Village.  We're going to hang out with RUF @ UAH, too!

1 comment:

  1. dahhhh mama that snuggling picture brought back so many great memories!!! also this whole thing brought a big fat smile to my face, especially the part about your picnic blanket and "fun lunch" AND freshmen small group. goshhhhhh i miss you and i'm so glad you are an intern at birmingham. LOVE, your child

    ReplyDelete