Monday, January 2, 2012

Storybook Bible

I've just returned to Birmingham to prepare for the next semester after celebrating Jesus' birth with my family and New Years with my intern family, and the only resolution I am going to make for this New Year is to be more faithful at updating my supporters and friends through this blog and emails.

We'll see (I've never been much of a New Year's resolver).

I've spent this break going back and forth from Birmingham, Atlanta, Panama City, and Nashville and I'm overwhelmed with how great it has been to spend time with people who know me and to take sometime to reflect on how things are going in RUF at UAB as a whole. One of the highlights of my break has been getting to visit Anne Charlotte Dentici at the hospital the day after she was born! I am so excited for Joe and Melissa and it is SO GOOD to see them start this new phase of their lives.

I've been preparing to lead a small group study for this semester on the Jesus Storybook Bible. It is a really awesome compilation of stories from the Bible written for children by Sally Lloyd-Jones.  It consistently brings each story into the larger story of God's redeeming love for his people (or "Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love") that is written across all of Scriptures.  I really encourage everyone to get it and read it, whether you are 5 or 55.

One of this stories about the nativity has hit home especially today, after celebrating Christmas and meeting Anne Charlotte for the first time:

"That same night, in amongst the other stars, suddenly a bright new star appeared. Of all the stars in the dark vaulted heavens, this one shone clearer. It blazed in the night and made the other stars look pale beside it.  God put it there when his baby Son was born-- to be like a spotlight. Shining on him. Lighting up the darkness. Showing people the way to him.  You see, God was like a new daddy-- he couldn't keep the good news to himself. He'd been waiting all these long years for this moment, and now he wanted to tell everyone."

The idea that God joyfully points us to the birth of his son is much more profound in light of the example that's been given to me through Joe and Melissa and their girl.  I easily forget that God looked upon the incarnation of Jesus with great joy because he loves us and eagerly looked forward to his plan of redemption coming to completion.  His joy was so much greater than any human parent can depict, but it's precious to see that the way that Joe and Melissa want others to share in their joy is like the way that God delighted in sending his Son to us, even though it would lead to his death on the Cross.

Please pray for me as I share this book with girls at UAB, that they would be drawn to Christ through the story of God's love for his people.

I am thankful for you all!



1 comment: